Friday, June 5, 2009

fun at the grocery store

I live in a working-class neighborhood here in Chicago so unfortunately there isn't a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods within reasonable distance for someone without a car. So, when I need a few quick things and I don't have all day to spend on a grocery trip I go to the Jewel down the street. Don't get me wrong they are really moving in the right direction when it comes to offering organic items at a reasonable price. Honestly, I've been pretty impressed with the progress they've made over the last couple years. But, with that said it can still be quite a chore to find products that don't contain Genetically Engineered (GE) products (mainly modified corn and soy) which I guess shouldn't be too surprising when considering the vast majority of corn and soy grown in the united states in GE.

I used to challenge myself to buy items that didn't contain high fructose corn syrup for health reasons. Now, I challenge myself not to buy a product with any modified corn or soy. This means no .... glucose syrup, maltodextrin, crystalline fructose, ascorbic acid, lecithin, dextrose, maltose, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), MSG, caramel color, xanthan gum and that's just what comes from corn....

In fact there are an average of 45,000 items in an american supermarket and over 25% of them contain some form of corn. Sad.

And don't think that if all your purchases come from the produce aisle that you haven't purchased a GE corn product. The vegetable wax used to give fruits/veggies their pretty shine is made of GE corn. (Thanks to author Michael Pollan for this information)

So, back to my trip to Jewel. Like I said they're doing a good job getting on the organic bandwagon. But, its still a hunt to find stuff that's truly healthy and not just masking itself as a healthy product. Example - yogurt. Almost every major label of yogurt contains HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. Thankfully Jewel stocks a huge supply of organic yogurt sweetened with GASP real sugar imagine that.

Another one - snack crackers like triscuits, wheat thins, fiber one, etc. Every single one contains all sorts of modified corn and HFCS. Today it took me awhile but I did find one called back to nature. No hydrogenated oil, no hfcs, or preservatives. And quite tasty.

My big issue with Jewel today was over cream cheese. They only have 2 choices. Philadelphia and store brand. Both contain stabilizers made of corn. Sorry but I just want cheese in my cheese.

Like I said, whole foods and trader joe's and other health food stores offer many more organic/natural products I just wish major chains would see the importance of carrying these products. For example, Jewel carries several types of organic milk and yogurt but no organic butter, cream, or buttermilk. No good.

Today I also found something that really excites me. Ginger Ale containing NO HFCS. Its sweetened with clover honey and pineapple juice. It contains 17 grams of fresh ginger per 12 ounce bottle and is REALLY tasty!! (Reed's Ginger Brew) Maybe I just have a highly sensitive palate but I can definitely taste the pineapple notes which make for a fun twist on regular old ginger ale.

Oh, and apparently the packaging looks too much like beer. I got carded buying my 6 pack today. HA

Today I challenge you to be more discerning when reading your labels at the grocery store. Move beyond calories and read the ingredients! Don't you deserve to know what's going in your body? And if you can't pronounce it do you really want to injest it?

Good luck on your quest to becoming a better eater. Not just for the health of your body but the health of this planet.

Happy eating!

And grocery shopping (I hope)

No comments: