Wednesday, June 10, 2009

use the cheese you made!!

So I promised you two recipes using ricotta and I'm going to give it to you but I'll break it into 2 posts so they aren't so long.

My first recipe is probably an unexpected use of ricotta but it is the most amazingly delicate delicious tender wow pancake you will ever taste.

Yes I said pancake

So without further ado let's make

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

You'll need:
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 large eggs SEPARATED
2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 c. buttermilk
1 c. ricotta (the one you made of course!)
1/4 c. FRESH lemon juice
1 or 2 T. lemon zest (depends how lemony you want them)

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl combine egg YOLKS, buttermilk, ricotta, lemon juice.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until dry ingredients are just incorporated. Sprinkle with lemon zest.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the rest of the batter. Let the batter sit 15-20 minutes (the longer the better to let the lemon flavor really come out)

While the batter is resting make the lemon sauce for the pancakes. These pancakes definitely don't get syrup!! Instead you'll be making a warm lemon sauce to top them. This sauce is basically a lemon curd that you keep warm so it doesn't set up. So for the sauce....

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. water
1 egg yolk
1 T. lemon zest
3 T. fresh lemon juice
Simply combine all the ingredients in a medium size saucepan and whisk constantly over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolves. Let the sauce boil and then lower the temp. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes then remove from direct heat but keep warm.

Butter a pan and begin making your pancakes. These pancakes won't get very brown, just golden and they will be a bit creamier in texture even when fully cooked because of the cheese.

Once cooked drizzle with the warm lemon sauce.

I like to add a small dollop of ricotta, fresh raspberries (or strawberries) and a dusting of powdered sugar.

These are some of the best pancakes I've ever tasted and are great for a special occasion! Definitely an interesting use of ricotta. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Happy eating.

xoxo, vanessa

3 comments:

Jess said...

Do you have a digital camera? Because I would love to see pictures. I think, if you took a pic of each step (think big here, you probably don't need to take a pic for every teaspoon you put in) and post it below each instruction, it might help people visualize what you're talking about.

It's easy to understand as it is, but pics would make it more dynamic.

Just a thought. Jess

cheryl said...

True story; as a kid, Mom would make pancakes on the weekend. One time, as we all sat eating our breakfast, Dad said the pancakes tasted "funny"... Later, while cleaning up, Mom realized that she had used lemon CAKE mix instead of pancake mix! Bet that never happens to Vanessa; she would NEVER make pancakes from a BOX... Love ya, Hun' (and miss you, Mom).

Vanessa Ryann said...

Re: Jess
That is definitely the next step in my blogging future. Everytime I write a recipe I think "I should have pictures with this" Unfortunately, right now, I don't have a laptop. So, although I have a digital camera I am blogging from my blackberry so I can't upload any pictures unless I'm at a public computer. Hopefully you'll see photos from me soon!!