Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Essential Kitchen

I decided I would do a 2 part blog series on things I think every great home cook should HAVE and things every home cook should KNOW. As a professional cook sometimes you forget how different home cooking really is. But, there are essential tools that will make the home cook's experience in the kitchen even more enjoyable.

None of the items are incredibly expensive but some are certainly splurges or items that must be saved for. I will include approximate price for each item and why it made my list. I'm also going to omit things I consider "basics" every kitchen should already have - wooden spoon, spatulas, cutting board etc.

Today we are inundated with gadgets for the kitchen claiming to make your life easier. If there is one bit of advice I can give it is not to waste your money on gadgets. Think back to the delicious meals your mom or grandma used to prepare and remember she never had any of those silly tools. Instead, spend your money on a few great essentials that will carry you through the years.

Tools Every Home Cook Should Have

1. A good quality French knife and a steel. This can be an investment as a good quality knife will cost about $100 but, if you take good care of it, it should last for years. As a woman I prefer Japanese made knives as they are lighter and seem to "fit" better in my hands. I use an 8 inch Global brand knife and love it. The knife and handle are all one piece of stainless steel. It is incredibly easy to wash and maintain and I can't speak highly enough of this knife. For a home cook I recommend nothing longer than an 8 inch blade and nothing less than 6.5. You don't have to go with a Global brand but it is personally my favorite. Another great Japanese made knife that you may like is the Shun. Obviously, German made knives are the most famous but, for me, they are just too heavy in the hand. I recommend buying a knife from a store that will let you actually let you cut with the knife before you purchase it.

It is also important to own a steel and know how to use it. A steel is not to sharpen your knife, but rather, to hone and align its edge. You must also have your knives professionally sharpened or learn to use a sharpening stone. Use your steel every time you begin to cook or in between lengthy cutting projects. To use your steel first make sure it (and your knife) are clean. Hold the steel in your non-dominant hand and run the knife over the steel at a 22 degree angle. Start with the heel of the knife against the steel and pull the blade towards you. Make sure to hone both sides of the blade. Watch this video to really see how it is done.

2. Fine Mesh Strainer. I would like to put a chinois on this list but a true chinois costs roughly $85 and that is just ridiculous. I don't even have one at home. However, a fine mesh strainer can get the job done pretty well for lots less money. Using a mesh strainer to strain cream soups or sauces will change the way you think about soup and sauce. The difference between eating a strained soup or sauce is like the difference between eating velvet and corduroy. You'll love it. For home use a 5 to 8 inch mesh strainer will cost about $15

3. Microplane. If you've never seen a microplane it is basically a fine grater on a handle. This is the perfect tool for zesting citrus fruits, grating ginger or garlic and grating super hard cheeses like Parmesan. These graters are super sharp and make zesting really easy. If you don't use them everyday (like I do at work) they stay sharp for a long time and you shouldn't have to replace them often. A microplane will cost about $16 at any kitchen store.

4. Stand Mixer. This one is another investment but one that is well worth it. A good stand mixer will cost about $200-$250 but is another tool you should never have to replace if you buy quality. When shopping for a stand mixer look for one with all steel gears. I use the KitchenAid Pro500 which retails for about $350. This is a bit more than most home cooks need but was a better choice for me. The pro version of the mixer features all stainless steel, a larger capacity, a better dough hook, and rather than having a tilt head the bowl lifts & lowers - which I prefer. I also did not pay full price for this mixer and if you look out for sales or go to stores like Marshall's or Khol's you may be able to find a great deal like I did. Having a stand mixer will save you an amazing amount of time in the kitchen as it frees up your hands to do other prep or cleanup while mixing.

5. digital scale. Digital scales are a great addition to any home kitchen. Weighing ingredients rather than measuring in volume makes for a better recipe especially when baking. Try to get used to weighing ingredients and you will see more consistent results. Basic digital scales cost about $20 and will be just fine for the home cook. If you can't find recipes that list ingredients in grams or ounces use an online recipe converter to change your recipes.

6. heavy bottomed pan. This is another tool that can be a bit of an investment, but again, one that lasts a lifetime. Heavy bottomed stainless pans are much better than aluminum pans. They provide more even cooking and won't discolor light colored sauces or soups when whisking (aluminum pans can cause light colored foods to turn grey). If you can afford it get both a sauce pan and a saute pan. You won't regret it. Stainless pans aren't "non-stick" so you might have to do a little scrubbing when you wash but they also allow you to deglaze and make lovely pan sauces after roasting meats. A 3 quart saute pan (great size for home cooking) retails for about $200 but again LOOK FOR DEALS. You can get a 3 qt saucier for $150-$200 as well. Just as a note when I say the pans are heavy I mean it. Pick it up in the store and make sure its the real deal and avoid aluminum at all costs.

7. Hand Immersion Blender. This may also be called a "stick" or "wand" blender. This little tool will be your best friend once you get one. Its great for making a quick morning smoothie as it only needs a quick rinse to lean. Its lightweight, easily stored, and much less intimidating than a blender. Don't get me wrong blenders have their own place in the kitchen but the immersion blender is just awesome. This hand blender can be used to puree soups, sauces, make whipped cream or mayo etc. Some of them (like mine) even come with other attachments like an electric knife (I've never used), whisk (awesome), and a chopper tool. Mine with the attachments was $40 but you can find one without the extra tools for about $30.

8. Spice Grinder. This is on my "I want" list but I really believe its something every cook should have and it is a money saver in the end. Buying spices in bulk that haven't been ground is cheaper and helps keep your spices fresher longer. Having a grinder also allows you to choose how course or finely ground your spices are. A Krups coffee/spice grinder retails for $20-$30.

9. Stock Pot or Dutch Oven Or both really... Making your own stock saves money and tastes better than store bought. Most home cooks won't be making 5 Gallons of stock at a time so using a Dutch Oven works well too, as long as you have enough room to cover your bones completely with water. Dutch Ovens can also be used to make stews, roast chickens etc. I love both my stock pot (for making large batches of marinara, soup or stock) and my dutch oven for all the other reason I listed. My 12 qt stock pot is aluminum so I use it strictly for broth soups, stock and tomato sauce and it cost about $20. Dutch ovens can range drastically in price so just do your research. Some Dutch ovens are made entirely of cast iron and can be used both indoors and outdoors.

10. Swiss Peeler I actually never knew what this type of peeler was called until I went to write this blog. I usually just call them the peelers that look like disposable razors. You may also hear them called T-peelers. These peelers are awesome. This is one of the only tools grandma probably had that I think should be upgraded. These peelers save you tons of time, are very sharp and super cheap. You can buy them in a pack of 3 for $10.

So that is my list of 10 essentials and if I could add one bonus it would be the Japanese Mandolin. They retail for about $20-$30 and are great for making perfectly shaved or julienned veggies.

Happy Cooking.

And, since the holidays are approaching if you saw something on this list you've just gotta have... write a letter to Santa! I'll vouch for you and tell him you really need it and you've been a very good girl/boy!

No comments: