Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thoughts

Sometimes I wish I was one of those people who could run home and blog complaints about their job every night and make up little nicknames for co-workers so as not to get caught but I just can't do that.

Lately though, I have been feeling like I am much more dedicated to my job than my job is dedicated to me. I would do ANYTHING they asked me to do, stay as late as they wanted me stay, work as many days/hours/weeks/months as they requested, but yet they seem like it is such a burden to them to help me grow as a cook. They know I want to be the best, yet offer so few opportunities that allow me to learn and grow and become better. So frustrating. The more I give the more they take and offer nothing in return.

Don't get me wrong, I love my work I'm just not so sure how much I love my job anymore. I just wish they were offering me more challenges and pushing me harder. I went to this place for opportunity and right now I feel like rather than moving forward I'm simply moving laterally. For me, its never acceptable to just be on cruise control and coast through life/work. I NEVER want to just settle. I know they appreciate all that I do but is it selfish to want challenge over appreciation? Honestly, I'd rather be pushed and proded than thanked right now.

But, in an economy such as ours I refuse to be the girl who complains about having a stable job that offers me a decent wage and insurance benefits. I am so lucky to have what I have. On the other hand when I go to my boss(es) begging them to push me harder, to challenge me more often and never to hold me back I expect to see effort on their part if they really care about my future as a cook.

Everyday I try to find the smallest opportunities to learn SOMETHING. It's becoming harder and harder. So for now I will continue to work as hard as I possibly can and prove myself as a passionate cook.

Rant over.

No comments: